Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Help (Movie to be Released in August 2011!)

Skeeter speaks with Aibileen


As I recently reviewed the book The Help (see January archives), I felt it was my duty to inform fans that a movie is being made, based on the book.  I have mixed feelings about books made into movies.  On one hand, as a teacher, I think the use of mixed media helps struggling readers to really put the story together.  On the other hand, movies rarely meet my expectations – especially of well-written books.  My vision of the characters is usually so different as to be distracting.  However, there have been exceptions.  One that comes to mind is The Color Purple – both an excellent book and film. 

Here are some factors that the movie has going for it:
1)     The screenwriter/director, Tate Taylor, is a childhood friend of Kathryn Stockett, the author, and I’m sure will work closely with her in order to uphold the integrity of the book.

2)     The studio producing the film is DreamWorks, not some unheard of company – but one created by one of the greatest directors of all time, Stephen Spielberg.

3)     There is some major talent in the cast.  However, a high profile cast does not a great movie make.  It is the combination of actors, screenplay, cinematography, and direction. 

The movie is set to be released in August of 2011.
 
Here is a list of some actresses and the characters they will portray:
Emma Stone as Eugenia (Skeeter) Phelan

Allison Janney as Charlotte Phelan 

Viola Davis as Aibileen Clark

Bryce Dallas Howard as Hilly Holbrook (I have reservations about this casting decision. Hilly is supposed to be quite porky, but this is Hollywood and chubby actresses don't get jobs, I guess.)

Octavia Spencer as Minny Jackson (In the picture, Octavia is on the left and Viola, right)

Sissy Spacek as Missus Walters (I just know that Sissy will nail this role!)

Cicely Tyson as Constantine Jefferson

Jessica Chastain as Celia Foote (I could not find a picture where she portrayed Celia - Marilyn Monroe on steroids. I'm hoping they make her blonde and do the original character justice.)


For more pictures from the movie and to follow along in its production, check out its facebook site:

And please, if you haven't read the book already, DO SO!  It is EXCELLENT!!!

No comments: