Sunday, July 15, 2012

Time to Query



I've reached the point where I'm ready to write my query letter.  It is a daunting task and one that I've heard many established authors even dread.  How is it that we can write an entire novel, but the thought of one letter makes us quiver?

In my search for guidance on this topic, I've located some helpful resources, which I thought that I'd share.

1.  Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript by Chuck Sambuchino and the editors of Writer's Digest Books
2.  QueryShark - blog which critiques fiction query letters, detailing what needs to be revised in order to have a successful query; very informative!
3.  "Marcus Sakey on Successful Query Letters" - a post from the Murderati: A Writer's Life blog; advice from the published author on how to get a 75% success rate on your query letter.
4.  AgentQuery - website dedicated researching agents and agencies.  It even offers advice on how to write a query letter.
5.  "How to Write a Query Letter" - blog post by Nathan Bradford
6.  Predators & Editors - informative website on the credibility of specific agents and agencies.  Check out your researched agents here before sending your queries to them.  Make sure they are legitimate!

I hope these links help you (and me) to write effective queries!  Good luck!

No comments: