Thursday, May 12, 2011

Writer's Block (sigh)




Stuck.

I’m nearing the end of my novel and am having trouble moving forward and pulling all the pieces together.  This is writer’s block, I guess.  I have already planned for the end result, but getting there is proving to be a challenge. 

My answer to my students has always been simply to keep writing (and frankly, stop over-thinking things) and see what comes out.  I always remind them, this is the rough draft stage.  I think someone used the term “madman” writing.  I like that.  Write now and make sense of it later.  Crazed, passionate writing. 

Good advice, right?  Except that I seem to be finding more and more reasons to stay away from my computer.  There are suddenly a million other tasks that need to be completed.  And not enough time in the day.  Excuses, excuses.  I know.

Avoidance.  Denial.  Procrastination.  My passive-aggressive side is rearing her ugly head.

Most of the time music helps.  Themed music, of course.  My husband knows that I’m working on my novel when he walks into the room and hears what he refers to as “nerd music.”  I’m writing YA sci-fi so I play haunting techno-trance music to set the mood.  Besides, what other type of music would a “word nerd” listen to?

But music isn’t helping.

I read over previous chapters, outlines, timelines, and random jotted down ideas I’ve stored on my computer, but nope. Nothing. 

So, what’s the solution?

Probably stop blogging and get focused, for one.  And two, listen to that smart teacher who says to stop over-thinking and just get writing.

And that’s what I’ll do.

Starting tomorrow.

No comments: